Requests for occasional permission to officiate for clergy from UK or Republic of Ireland

The National Register of Clergy is not felt to be reliable enough to use currently so the procedure for requests for occasional PTO from clergy from within other Areas of the Diocese of London or from other Dioceses will be for the Area/Diocesan Bishop to request a Clergy Current Status Letter (CCSL) from the Bishop in the Diocese/Area where the clergy person currently holds a license or permission to officiate, as above.

You can then write to them confirming that you have done these things and that you are giving them permission to minister in your church for a particular occasion. You should keep a copy to show that you have done so (and you may also copy this letter to the Bishop’s office, who will hold it as a record on the parish file and as evidence that you have fulfilled your obligations).

This will be reviewed in February 2024.